The Pocklington Canal is a delightful rural waterway in East Yorkshire. It is nine and a half miles long (15 km), flowing from Canal Head near Pocklington to the River Derwent at East Cottingwith. The canal was completed in 1818 and is part of the inland waterways network of England and Wales. Like many of our canals it became derelict with the coming of the railways. Considerable restoration work has been done by the Pocklington Canal Amenity Society volunteers. Half the canal is currently navigable, and the entire canal has a towpath.
The Pocklington Canal is one of our finest canals for wildlife, with both national and international protection. The four road bridges and nine locks are important heritage features and all of them are Grade II Listed.